Please note that as part of BlogHer, I attended sponsored events and received gifts from companies. Those items have no bearing on the content of this post. Besides, I have a swag giveaway at the end of this post.
Boy, oh boy. If you were following Erica and I on twitter & Facebook this weekend, you saw there were more than a few moments of pure awfulness. I was so frustrated that I might have nearly snapped and been rude a couple of times. (But hilariously rude, I assure you.) Aside from being handed death on a plate more than once, there were a few highlights to my weekend.
This was probably the best part of the weekend. A day trip to a sponsored event from Wilton (yes, the Wilton that makes every cake decorating tool you can imagine).
They fed us lunch, gave us a tour of their top-secret cake design and photography facilities and then there was the good stuff. They taught three classes Buttercream Techniques, 3D modeling and Snack Cakes. I did the first two because they seemed the least likely to involve gluten (and I was correct). I will share more of the techniques later in the week, when I make a cake and decorate it with some of the tools that they sent me home with.
Conference food = nightmare. Mary Fran + Erica eating in Chicago = winning. I took Erica to a couple of my favorite gluten-free spots in the city: Roti for a fast dinner on Thursday night, Little Goat on Friday and some Garrett’s for snacking in between. And as much as I love Little Goat’s Gluten-Free Menu, Erica kept saying that she just wanted to hug everyone in the restaurant. I think that means it was a-ok!
- A text that says to hurry up because there is free wine at the hotel lobby and then making an animated gif in the photo booth with your GFBFF.
- Crowding the Jamba Juice booth for smoothies because someone tried to serve you death on a plate for breakfast.
- Meeting Sheryl Sandberg and participating in the Lean In circles session. Makes me want to ask for a raise (even if I did get one last year).
- Bonding with some GFBFFs over food & wine.
- Being the absolute worst prepared conference attendee ever. Let me tell you, flying by the seat of your pants is so much more fun.
- Getting dragged to one of the night time parties. I totally would have been an in-room hermit had I not been staying with Erica.
- Meeting Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman), since I didn’t get to meet her in Austin – there was ice cream and I chose that over blogging celebrity.